Earlier this fall, Little Green received a makeover! Gone were her old shingles and on went a white metal roof. How do you type a whistle? Anyway, that’s not all that she received. Initially, we were given a quote that seemed extremely inexpensive. All that our contractors had to do was remove the old roofing and put on the new one. They came on a Friday and said that it would be done on Monday. What was supposed to take two days turned into nearly two months! Does this ever happen to anyone else?
This is what Little Green ended up needing:
– the removal of 3 (and sometimes 4) layers of shingles
– a new supporting beam in our kitchen addition
– insulation in the ceiling of our entryway
– new plywood in place of the old wood with dry rot
– the roof itself to be extended on one side
– new soffit
– new fascia
– new eaves troughs (still waiting for those)
– new siding on our second floor
– oh, and a metal roof, of course
We ended up paying three times the original quoted amount. However, now Little Green is more structurally sound and much warmer than ever before. Although her roof is currently covered in some Canadian snow and all of our neighbours’ roofs match Little Green’s, believe me when I say that when it’s bare, it’s very beautiful!