Remember this post? The one that I published over two months ago saying that we made-over Remy’s room? Well, we’ve changed it yet again.
These changes occurred over Christmas. While I was painting our bathroom (that we are also renovating), I started to compare that room’s shiny white baseboards to Remy’s ugly, beige baseboards. I felt guilty that her room was unfinished like that, so I told Geoffrey that over the holidays, I would also tackle the trim and doors in her room. The problem was that the old carpet rose quite high, and was too thick and stiff to either tape it off or to lay any protective material down so that I could paint the bottom of the baseboards. I knew that it would have to be ripped up.
After finding a great carpet store, I went in and explained my situation. We were initially going to tear out the carpet ourselves. I wanted to see the condition of the hardwood floors that were underneath. Our home is over 100 years old, so we are lucky in that most rooms have hardwood as their original flooring. This is something that I hope to expose and refinish someday soon. However, we wanted a quick fix for Remy’s room, and so we decided to stick with carpet. After peeling back the old stuff, we saw that the underlay had essentially turned to dust. We then agreed to get the carpet installers to tear it out in addition to installing the new flooring.
Everything went incredibly quick and smooth. I chose a dark grey carpet a few days before Christmas, and they came the morning before Christmas Eve to put it in. It went off without a hitch. Over the next few days I painted her room (in between visiting and hosting family), and decorated it in the dark after she went to bed on Boxing Day. That brings us to today!
The carpet and paint are two more huge improvements. Now I can officially cross her room off my to-do list for good. Hooray!